Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To those i knew, lived, died, fought and killed alongside! This is for you!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterGalleryLog in

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
rayx10
Neonate
Neonate
rayx10

Awesomeness : 4

Character sheet
Name: Ray McLeod
Clan: Khaibit (Mekhet)
Covenant: Carthian Movement

PostSubject: Avatar   Avatar I_icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 8:50 pm

Avatar! weeee, blue kitty indian hippie aliens from pandora, everyone loooooves bluekittyindianhippiealiens from outer space alright!

I think it was a fairly alright movie, it was a bit on the 'Much' side because it was practically drowned in special effects, I had to watch the movie several times to really process everything in it.
All in all I think its a movie well worth watching, if your into that thing it even has a vague message/morale for us.

Now to discuss one thing.....
The Pocahontas thing.

Avatar has been labelled "Film of the year" but many critics seems to be of the opinion that the plot is stolen/ripped from Pocahontas, and I disagree, here's why.
Pocahontas was a good movie, even the disney version was good, tells a brilliant tale about species clashing, and Avatar shares several elements in it, without referring to the whole science fiction bit.
Protagonist specie wants something of the foreign specie, foreign specie does not coorperate, war breaks out, protagonist specie appears as bad guys, main character switches side halfway in the movie, falls in love, these are all things they have in common Pocahontas & Avatar, here's whats Not:

In pocahontas, John Smith was not tasked to infiltrate the indians as posing to BE an indian, in Pocahontas John Smith was the one with the gun not the other way around, in Pocahontas John Smith never changes side to fight against his fellow man, in Pocahontas John Smith did not become the leader of the indians.
In Pocahontas no real sacred place or deity was brought into the picture, in Pocahontas John Smith did not get laid, and he did not become an indian in the end, and he died...
LAST but not least, in Pocahontas there was no giant mechas fighting giant mixed earthling creatures with blue rides with giant robotized army knives.....

Avatar and Pocahontas share a similarity YES, but I wouldnt call it a ripoff, not even close, the plot of two foreign species colliding and two individuals get a thing for eachother is a great story, and no way could that particular plotline have been original for all eternity.... there's bound to be more movies or stories out there about just this. Calling it a Pocahontas ripoff is verrrry narrowminded.

If for nothing else, watch it for the special effects.

And thats the only real big mood point for me in Avatar..... WHO in their right mind equips a giant man-controlled robot with a KNIFE? where's the logic, I can see where it came in handy but seriously... a knife? that thing had a giant gun and could even have had flame throwers and rocketlaunchers and whatnot, but NOOOOooooOOOOooooo; the robot has to have a knife so it can go command-sambo on people, sheesh.

If you havent seen Avatar, I recommend that you do, its a good movie.
RayRating. 9.1/10.0
Back to top Go down
Boehlke
Antediluvian
Antediluvian
Boehlke

Awesomeness : 43

Character sheet
Name: Nickolas
Clan: Gangrel
Covenant: Unbound

PostSubject: Re: Avatar   Avatar I_icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 12:28 am

I did not bother reading your review, or whatever it is. Will do later. Just wanna say that I liked Avatar, it wasa breath of fresh air. Wish I had gotten to see it in 3D thoguh.

And FRELL pocahontas!
Back to top Go down
https://radioactive.forumotion.com
Beast King
Elder
Elder
Beast King

Awesomeness : 9

Character sheet
Name: Charles the Ripper
Covenant: Ordo Dracul

PostSubject: Re: Avatar   Avatar I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 7:43 pm

I have one objection to the Avatar movie. And it goes thus:
(warning, may contain philosophy)
The human dude and the alien chick fall in love, right? Okay, from her perspective, i can understand it. She sees him mostly in his alien stolen body thing.
But he sees her from his point of view, a big, blue alien with a face the cross of a human and a cat.
And then, when she sees his human body, she still cares for him, right? Even though he is like a dwarf compared to her.
How? How can they possibly fall in love? Love is a mental state which enables us to chose and live with a desired partner, and make offspring with that partner. Well...at least the kind of love we are talking about here.
That kind of love doesn't span species. Its like a guy falling in love with a chimp and marrying the chimp. Its the same concept. Vaguely familiar features, both can be taught to understand each other, and neither are the same species. Still, no one would make love to a chimp, would they?
I know that he felt more 'alive' or 'real' in his alien body and shit but still, to fall in love with a member of another specie, there is something wrong with that.
Anyway, that's my perspective. Avatar was a cool movie, had a nice message and shit, especially to Americans as a whole, but I was a bit put of by the cross species beastiality thing.
But that's just me. Some people probably like shit like that.
Some people probably like banging chi....*sprak*
*end*
Back to top Go down
rayx10
Neonate
Neonate
rayx10

Awesomeness : 4

Character sheet
Name: Ray McLeod
Clan: Khaibit (Mekhet)
Covenant: Carthian Movement

PostSubject: Re: Avatar   Avatar I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 2:29 am

Beast King wrote:

The human dude and the alien chick fall in love, right? Okay, from her perspective, i can understand it. She sees him mostly in his alien stolen body thing.
But he sees her from his point of view, a big, blue alien with a face the cross of a human and a cat.
And then, when she sees his human body, she still cares for him, right? Even though he is like a dwarf compared to her.
How? How can they possibly fall in love? Love is a mental state which enables us to chose and live with a desired partner, and make offspring with that partner.
Some people probably like banging chi....*sprak*
*end*

..... Love works in mysterious ways like that dude, find me a textbook on it and I'll find you a textbook on flying gypsy astronauts fighting ninjas in the stratosphere with a whole KamehameHa vs Hadouken thing going on.

I see love in movies and I dont ask many questions, I just go "awwwww" and hug something/one.
Back to top Go down
Boehlke
Antediluvian
Antediluvian
Boehlke

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Avatar   Avatar I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 9:31 pm

Huh, love. I could name 10 movies which are meant for children that has worse interracial themes going on.

To me the basic physiology seem the same, although the blues are taller and thinner and DUH a tad bit blue. It's a movie, unthinkable things happens there. Besides, people do marry real dwarfs don't they? Remember, Hitler had this no blending of the races thing going. If two things can recuperate with a healthy offspring as a result, then you are compatible, and there should not be a problem. From a pure natural point of view. If we blend in human notions such as ethics things might get problematic. :p

Let's stretch this to all the vampire movies shall we? haha, half of earths populous is necrophiliac, they find vamps a turn on! THEY ARE DEAD DAMN IT! Wink

I tend to fit quite nicely into Ray's camp. I just say "awwww" and go into a hug-frenzy.
Back to top Go down
https://radioactive.forumotion.com
Beast King
Elder
Elder
Beast King

Awesomeness : 9

Character sheet
Name: Charles the Ripper
Covenant: Ordo Dracul

PostSubject: Re: Avatar   Avatar I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 2:14 am

Ooh, I see what you did there. Comparing me to Hitler and shit.
Gah, æ bryr mæ egentlig ikke. Æ e ikke så glad i å se på filma uansett, æ blir så fort flau. Spesielt av hollywood filma.
Back to top Go down
Boehlke
Antediluvian
Antediluvian
Boehlke

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Avatar   Avatar I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 9:55 am

Hahahahahha. That was not intentional, comparing you with Hitt-leif and shit :p