Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To those i knew, lived, died, fought and killed alongside! This is for you!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterGalleryLog in

major problem

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Beast King
Elder
Elder
Beast King

Awesomeness : 9

Character sheet
Name: Charles the Ripper
Clan: Gangrel
Covenant: Ordo Dracul

major problem Empty
PostSubject: major problem   major problem I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 4:20 am

Okay, everyone who have read some of my stories, or who have played in any of my games knows that most of the characthers I make are major Mary Sues.
They are overpowered and not balanced at all.
http://www.ponylandpress.com/ms-test.html is a test where you can see how much of a mary sue a character is. My characters usually score around 70 or more, which is, and I quote: "Irredeemable-Sue. You're
going to have to start over, my friend. I know you want to keep
writing,
but no. Just no"

But I haven't been able to stop this. Does anyone have any ideas to help me start making believable characters?
Back to top Go down
Boehlke
Antediluvian
Antediluvian
Boehlke

Awesomeness : 43

Character sheet
Name: Nickolas
Covenant: Unbound

major problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: major problem   major problem I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 1:01 am

Alright, I just took the test. I have to admit, that my first Vampire character Nick, was some kind of Mary Sue at the start, But as time went on, and I had gotten to play him I developed him more and the final result was 14% Mary Sue on that test. This is what the test said about the Charater: 11-20 points: The Non-Sue. Your character is a well-developed, balanced person, and is almost certainly not a Mary Sue. Congratulations!

To create a balanced character I think the best thing to do, is to start with the Virtue and Vice, and really sink your mind into them. You need a balance of what is good about the character and what is bad. Same thing when you are working on his/hers backstory. There need to be an even blend of negativie and positive experiences in her childhood -- And young adult life. Personally I think there has to be more negativities than positivities... Be it experiences or deeds that she/he has done, that does not matter. Most of us dwell on what is negative, so what would the character think of as negative, what is her "angst" What is her fears, what is her regrets, and believe me, she needs more than one thing to be afraid of, angst, or even regret. This is only one of many things that needs a blance ofcourse. The reason I think there should be more negativities than possitivities is that we don't sit down and play a game, where everyone is happy, world peace and that shit. In such a universe there would be nothing to drive the story, no complications, no drama. The negativities create drama. And a chracter with a dramatic ground helps create further story.

So, basically Vice, backstory and personality is the three things you have to look at if you don't want to create a Mary Sue. This is all none stat things, and might actually do the whole job. But stat vise, the single most important thing to remember is that - "If you think you are the shit, I'll show you one of theese and we'll setlle the matter for good" - As a very nifty Gangrel once said. There is always something worse than you out there, and you damn well better not forget that.

We all, as every good fictional characters has flaws, be it mental or physical. One person might have a sweet spot for ladies, making him unfaithfull in that regard, and so on and so forth. You MUST add things about the character that is questionable. Even saint's has flaws, be it something as simple as beeing overly righteous which blinds him and leads to all sorts of complications.

In fear of repeating myself over and over again, I'll stop now. I really hope some of this helped....

Did it help some?
Back to top Go down
https://radioactive.forumotion.com
Beast King
Elder
Elder
Beast King

Awesomeness : 9

Character sheet
Name: Charles the Ripper
Covenant: Ordo Dracul

major problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: major problem   major problem I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 11:42 pm

Actually yes, it did help. Thank you!
Virtue, Vice, backstory and personality. I'll keep those four in mind, and this time, delve deeper into them than superficial words without meaning.
Hopefully, I can make some believable characters now.
Back to top Go down
Boehlke
Antediluvian
Antediluvian
Boehlke

Awesomeness : 43

Character sheet
Name: Nickolas
Covenant: Unbound

major problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: major problem   major problem I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 12:58 am

Yeah. I'd like to read what you come up with Smile
Back to top Go down
https://radioactive.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

major problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: major problem   major problem I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

major problem
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Da fiction Plaza :: The place for everything else-
Jump to: